Thursday 15 September 2011

Runner Bean where is thy string?


Last year I grew quite a lot of runner beans, which would've been nice if they had been edible. They were shot through with the weird, remarkably tough, plasticy fibers. This year I made a conscious decision to remember that I hate runners and not grow them again .....

but .....

I went to visit the vegetable project part of Diss Community Farm where Gabbi the Grower waxed lyrical about the variety of runner beans she was growing. Her description of them when slow cooked in a spicy tomato sauce was beguiling. I think she was growing Enorma which I couldn't find but she also recommended Hunter. After my broad beans failed I found myself with a spare bed on the allotment so I planted some Hunter.

And, yes, this tale does end in the manner I think you're expecting. The Hunters are divine with an amazing and unexpected silky texture. I even enjoy the feel of them in my hand as I pick them. I think I'll stop there before I embarrass myself further with the gushing.

In other Diss Community Farm news, we are finally taking delivery of our pigs on Saturday. Many things have been happening on the livestock front so I'll save all the news for dedicated piggy post with pictures of our tasty new friends over the weekend.

3 comments:

  1. I love runner beans, my favourite vegetable! I'll give hunter a go next year.
    Looking forward to the piggy post.
    Enjoy the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pleased you've found a good bean :) We grow Scarlet Emperor and we like them.
    And you're getting pigs on the Community Farm! Can't wait to see them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my beans.....and I would never ever be without them!!

    ReplyDelete